Pronunciation: (in-tōn'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/intone.html on line 73 [key]
—v., -toned, -ton•ing.
1. to utter with a particular tone or voice modulation.
2. to give tone or variety of tone to; vocalize.
3. to utter in a singing voice (the first tones of a section in a liturgical service).
4. to recite or chant in monotone.
1. to speak or recite in a singing voice, esp. in monotone; chant.
2. Music.to produce a tone, or a particular series of tones, like a scale, esp. with the voice.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.