Pronunciation: (in-ves'ti-chur, -choor"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/investiture.html on line 73 [key]
1. the act or process of investing.
2. the formal bestowal, confirmation, or presentation of rank, office, or a possessory or prescriptive right, usually involving the giving of insignia or an official title.
3. the state of being invested, as with a garment, quality, or office.
4. something that covers or adorns.
5. Archaic.something that invests.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.