—v., -vit•ed, -vit•ing,
1. to request the presence or participation of in a kindly, courteous, or complimentary way, esp. to request to come or go to some place, gathering, entertainment, etc., or to do something: to invite friends to dinner.
2. to request politely or formally: to invite donations.
3. to act so as to bring on or render probable: to invite accidents by fast driving.
4. to call forth or give occasion for: Those big shoes invite laughter.
5. to attract, allure, entice, or tempt.
to give invitation; offer attractions or allurements.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.