Pronunciation: (ī'lund), [key]
1. a tract of land completely surrounded by water, and not large enough to be called a continent.
2. something resembling an island, esp. in being isolated or having little or no direct communication with others.
3. a raised platform with a counter or other work surface on top situated in the middle area of a room, esp. a kitchen, so as to permit access from all sides.
4. See safety island.
5. a low concrete platform for gasoline pumps at an automotive service station.
6. a clump of woodland in a prairie.
7. an isolated hill.
8. Anat.an isolated portion of tissue differing in structure from the surrounding tissue.
9. Railroads.a platform or building between sets of tracks.
1. to make into an island.
2. to dot with islands.
3. to place on an island; isolate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.