Pronunciation: (ī"su-lā'shun, is"u-), [key]
1. an act or instance of isolating.
2. the state of being isolated.
3. the complete separation from others of a person suffering from contagious or infectious disease; quarantine.
4. the separation of a nation from other nations by isolationism.
5. Psychoanal.a process whereby an idea or memory is divested of its emotional component.
6. Sociol.See social isolation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.