1. a separate article or particular: 50 items on the list.
2. a separate piece of information or news, as a short piece in a newspaper or broadcast.
3. Slang.something suitable for a news paragraph or as a topic of gossip, esp. something that is sensational or scandalous: The bandleader and the new female singer are an item.
4. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter I.
5. an admonition or warning.
6. Older Use.an intimation or hint.
also; likewise (used esp. to introduce each article or statement in a list or series).
1. to set down or enter as an item, or by or in items.
2. to make a note of.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.