Pronunciation: (ī'vu-rē, ī'vrē), [key]
—n., pl. -ries,
1. the hard white substance, a variety of dentin, composing the main part of the tusks of the elephant, walrus, etc.
2. this substance when taken from a dead animal and used to make carvings, billiard balls, etc.
3. some substance resembling this.
4. an article made of this substance, as a carving or a billiard ball.
5. a tusk, as of an elephant.
6. dentin of any kind.
7. Slang.a tooth, or the teeth.
8. ivories, Slang.
a. the keys of a piano or of a similar keyboard instrument.
9. Also called vegetable ivory. the hard endosperm of the ivory nut, used for ornamental purposes, for buttons, etc.
10. a creamy or yellowish white.
11. a smooth paper finish produced by coating with beeswax before calendering.
1. consisting or made of ivory.
2. of the color ivory.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.