Pronunciation: ( jā), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/j.html on line 84 [key]
—pl. J's or Js, j's or js.
1. the tenth letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter J or j, as in just, major, or rajah.
3. something having the shape of a J.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter J or j.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter J or j.
2. Also,j Physics.joule; joules.
1. the tenth in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the ninth.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the medieval Roman numeral for 1. Cf. Roman numerals.
1. Math.a unit vector on the y-axis of a coordinate system.
2. Engin.the imaginary number &minus1sqrootover;.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.