Pronunciation: ( ju-pan'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/japan.html on line 79 [key]
—n., adj., v., -panned, -pan•ning.
1. any of various hard, durable, black varnishes, originally from Japan, for coating wood, metal, or other surfaces.
2. work varnished and figured in the Japanese manner.
3. Japans,a variety of decorative motifs or patterns derived from Oriental sources, used on English porcelain of the 18th and 19th centuries.
of or pertaining to japan.
1. to varnish with japan; lacquer.
2. to coat with any material that gives a hard, black gloss.
Pronunciation: ( ju-pan'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/japan.html on line 129 [key]
1. a constitutional monarchy on a chain of islands off the E coast of Asia: main islands, Hokkaido, Honshu, Kyushu, and Shikoku. 120,020,000; 141,529 sq. mi. (366,560 sq. km). Cap.: Tokyo. Japanese, Nihon, Nippon.
2. Sea of, the part of the Pacific Ocean between Japan and mainland Asia.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.