Pronunciation: ( jôr'dn; for 2 also Fr. zhôr-dän'), [key]
1. David Starr Pronunciation: (stär), [key] 1851–1931, U.S. biologist and educator.
2. June, born 1936, U.S. poet, novelist, and essayist.
3. Ma•rie En•ne•mond Ca•mille Pronunciation: (ma-rē' enu-môn' ka-mē'yu), [key] 1838–1922, French mathematician.
4. Official name, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. a kingdom in SW Asia, consisting of the former Transjordan and a part of Palestine that, since 1967, has been occupied by Israel. 2,751,968; 37,264 sq. mi. (96,514 sq. km). Cap.: Amman.
5. a river in SW Asia, flowing from S Lebanon through the Sea of Galilee, then S between Israel and Jordan through W Jordan into the Dead Sea. 200 mi. (320 km) long.
6. a male given name.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.