Pronunciation: ( jō'zuf, -suf), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/joseph.html on line 87 [key]
1. Jacob's eleventh son, the first of Jacob and his second wife, Rachel: sold into slavery by his brothers. Gen. 30:22–24; 37.
2. the husband of Mary who was the mother of Jesus. Matt. 1:16–25.
3. (Hinmaton-yalaktit), c1840–1904, leader of the Nez Percé: led 1000-mi. (1600-km) retreat from U.S. forces in an attempt to reach Canada 1877.
4. (l.c.) a long coat buttoning in the front, worn esp. by women as part of their riding habit in colonial America.
5. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “increaser.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.