Pronunciation: (kid'nē), [key]
1. Anat.either of a pair of bean-shaped organs in the back part of the abdominal cavity that form and excrete urine, regulate fluid and electrolyte balance, and act as endocrine glands.
2. Zool.a corresponding organ in other vertebrate animals or an organ of like function in invertebrates.
3. the meat of an animal's kidney used as food.
4. constitution or temperament: He was a quiet child, of a different kidney from his boisterous brothers.
5. kind, sort, or class: He is only at ease with men of his own kidney.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.