Pronunciation: (king'fish"), [key]
—pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. referring to two or more kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any of several marine food fishes of the drum family, esp. of the genus Menticirrhus, found off the E coast of the U.S.
2. Also called white croaker. a marine food fish, Genyonemus lineatus, found off the Californian coast.
3. See king mackerel.
4. a large game fish, Seriola grandis, found in Australia and New Zealand, closely related to the yellowtail.
5. any of various other fishes noted esp. for their size.
6. Informal.a person regarded as a leader or authority: a kingfish in Democratic party circles.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.