Pronunciation: (lak), [key]
1. deficiency or absence of something needed, desirable, or customary: lack of money; lack of skill.
2. something missing or needed: After he left, they really felt the lack.
1. to be without or deficient in: to lack ability; to lack the necessities of life.
2. to fall short in respect of: He lacks three votes to win.
1. to be absent or missing, as something needed or desirable: Three votes are lacking to make a majority.
2. lack in, to be short of or deficient in: What he lacks in brains, he makes up for in brawn.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.