Pronunciation: (land'skāp"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/landscape.html on line 71 [key]
—n., v., -scaped, -scap•ing.
1. a section or expanse of rural scenery, usually extensive, that can be seen from a single viewpoint.
2. a picture representing natural inland or coastal scenery.
3. Fine Arts.the category of aesthetic subject matter in which natural scenery is represented.
4. Obs.a panoramic view of scenery; vista.
1. to improve the appearance of (an area of land, a highway, etc.), as by planting trees, shrubs, or grass, or altering the contours of the ground.
2. to improve the landscape of.
to do landscape gardening as a profession.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.