Pronunciation: (lat'ur-ul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/lateral.html on line 77 [key]
1. of or pertaining to the side; situated at, proceeding from, or directed to a side: a lateral view.
2. pertaining to or entailing a position, office, etc., that is different but equivalent or roughly equivalent in status, as distinguished from a promotion or demotion: a lateral move.
3. Phonet.articulated so that the breath passes on either or both sides of the tongue, as l.
1. a lateral part or extension, as a branch or shoot.
2. Mining.a small drift off to the side of a principal one.
3. Phonet.a lateral speech sound.
4. Football.See lateral pass.
1. Football.to throw a lateral pass.
2. to move laterally or sideways: migrating birds lateraling down into Cape May.
Football.to throw (the ball) in a lateral pass.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.