Pronunciation: (lath, läth), [key]
—n., pl. lathsPronunciation: (la&thslash;z, laths, lä&thslash;z, läths), [key]
1. a thin, narrow strip of wood, used with other strips to form latticework, a backing for plaster or stucco, a support for slates and other roofing materials, etc.
2. a group or quantity of such strips.
3. work consisting of such strips.
4. wire mesh or the like used in place of wooden laths as a backing for plasterwork.
5. a thin, narrow, flat piece of wood used for any purpose.
to cover or line with laths.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.