Pronunciation: (lûrn), [key]
—v., learnedPronunciation: (lûrnd) [key]or learnt, learn•ing.
1. to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn French; to learn to ski.
2. to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain: to learn the truth.
3. to memorize: He learned the poem so he could recite it at the dinner.
4. to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.
5. (of a device or machine, esp. a computer) to perform an analogue of human learning with artificial intelligence.
6. Nonstandard.to instruct in; teach.
1. to acquire knowledge or skill: to learn rapidly.
2. to become informed (usually fol. by of): to learn of an accident.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.