Pronunciation: (left'han'did), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/left-handed.html on line 75 [key]
1. having the left hand more dominant or effective than the right; preferably using the left hand: a left-handed pitcher.
2. adapted to or performed by the left hand: a left-handed tool; a left-handed tennis serve.
3. situated on the side of the left hand.
a. rotating counterclockwise.
b. noting a helical or spiral member, as a gear tooth or screw thread, that twists counterclockwise as it recedes from an observer.
5. Building Trades.left-hand (def. 3).
6. ambiguous or doubtful and often unfavorable or derogatory by implication: a left-handed compliment.
7. clumsy or awkward.
8. of, pertaining to, or issuing from a morganatic marriage: so called from the custom, in morganatic marriage ceremonies, of having the bridegroom give his left hand to the bride.
1. with the left hand: He writes left-handed.
2. toward the left hand; in a counterclockwise direction: The strands of the rope are laid left-handed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.