Pronunciation: (lend), [key]
—v., lent, lend•ing.
1. to grant the use of (something) on condition that it or its equivalent will be returned.
2. to give (money) on condition that it is returned and that interest is paid for its temporary use.
3. to give or contribute obligingly or helpfully: to lend one's aid to a cause.
4. to adapt (oneself or itself) to something: The building should lend itself to inexpensive remodeling.
5. to furnish or impart: Distance lends enchantment to the view.
1. to make a loan.
2. lend a hand, to give help; aid: If everyone lends a hand, we can have dinner ready in half an hour.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.