Pronunciation: (lev'ē), [key]
—n., pl. lev•ies,
—v., lev•ied, lev•y•ing.
1. an imposing or collecting, as of a tax, by authority or force.
2. the amount owed or collected.
3. the conscription of troops.
4. the troops conscripted.
1. to impose (a tax): to levy a duty on imports.
2. to conscript (troops).
3. to start or wage (war).
to seize or attach property by judicial order.
Pronunciation: (lē'vē, lev'ē for 1; lē'vē, -vī for 2), [key]
1. Uriah Phillips, 1792–1862, U.S. naval commander.
2. a male given name.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.