Pronunciation: (lik'wid), [key]
1. composed of molecules that move freely among themselves but do not tend to separate like those of gases; neither gaseous nor solid.
2. of, pertaining to, or consisting of liquids: a liquid diet.
3. flowing like water.
4. clear, transparent, or bright: liquid eyes.
5. (of sounds, tones, etc.) smooth; agreeable; flowing freely: the liquid voice of a trained orator.
6. in cash or readily convertible into cash without significant loss of principal: liquid assets.
7. Phonet.characterizing a frictionless speech sound pronounced with only a partial obstruction of the breath stream and whose utterance can be prolonged as that of a vowel, esp. l and r.
8. (of movements, gestures, etc.) graceful; smooth; free and unconstricted: the ballerina's liquid arabesques.
1. a liquid substance.
2. Phonet.either r or l, and sometimes m, n, ng.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.