Pronunciation: (lit'u-rer"ē), [key]
1. pertaining to or of the nature of books and writings, esp. those classed as literature: literary history.
2. pertaining to authorship: literary style.
3. versed in or acquainted with literature; well-read.
4. engaged in or having the profession of literature or writing: a literary man.
5. characterized by an excessive or affected display of learning; stilted; pedantic.
6. preferring books to actual experience; bookish.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.