Pronunciation: (lit'ur-it), [key]
1. able to read and write.
2. having or showing knowledge of literature, writing, etc.; literary; well-read.
3. characterized by skill, lucidity, polish, or the like: His writing is literate but cold and clinical.
4. having knowledge or skill in a specified field: literate in computer usage.
5. having an education; educated.
1. a person who can read and write.
2. a learned person.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.