Pronunciation: (līv'lē), [key]
—adj., -li•er, -li•est,
1. full or suggestive of life or vital energy; active, vigorous, or brisk: a lively discussion.
2. animated, spirited, vivacious, or sprightly: a lively tune; a lively wit.
3. eventful, stirring, or exciting: The opposition gave us a lively time.
4. bustling with activity; astir: The marketplace was lively with vendors.
5. strong, keen, or distinct; vivid: a lively recollection.
6. striking, telling, or effective, as an expression or instance.
7. vivid or bright, as color or light: a lively pink.
8. sparkling, as wines.
9. fresh or invigorating, as air: a lively breeze.
10. rebounding quickly; springing back; resilient: a lively tennis ball.
11. riding the sea buoyantly, as a ship.
with briskness, vigor, or animation; briskly: to step lively.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.