Pronunciation: (lō'ding), [key]
1. the act of a person or thing that loads.
2. that with which something is loaded; load, burden, or charge.
3. Elect.the process of adding reactance to a telephone circuit, radio antenna, etc.
4. Aeron.the ratio of the gross weight of an airplane to engine power (power loading), wing span (span loading), or wing area (wing loading).
5. Insurance.an addition to the net premium, to cover expenses and allow a margin for contingencies and profit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.