Pronunciation: (lō'kul), [key]
1. pertaining to or characterized by place or position in space; spatial.
2. pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: a local custom.
3. pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country: local transportation.
4. stopping at most or all stations: a local train.
5. pertaining to or affecting a particular part or particular parts, as of a physical system or organism: a local disease.
6. Med.(of anesthesia or an anesthetic) affecting only a particular part or area of the body, without concomitant loss of consciousness, as distinguished from general anesthesia.
1. a local train, bus, etc.
2. a newspaper item of local interest.
3. a local branch of a union, fraternity, etc.
4. a local anesthetic.
5. Often, locals.
a. a local person or resident: primarily of interest to locals.
b. a local athletic team: the locals versus the state champions.
6. stamp (def. 22).
7. Brit. Informal.a neighborhood pub.
Informal.to travel by or take a local train or the like.
Pronunciation: (lō'kal', -kal"), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.