Pronunciation: (lō-kā'shun), [key]
1. a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location for a young doctor.
2. a place or situation occupied: a house in a fine location.
3. a tract of land of designated situation or limits: a mining location.
4. Motion Pictures.a place outside of the studio that is used for filming a movie, scene, etc.
5. Computers.any position on a register or memory device capable of storing one machine word.
6. the act of locating; state of being located.
7. Civ. Law.a letting or renting.
8. on location, Motion Pictures.engaged in filming at a place away from the studio, esp. one that is or is like the setting of the screenplay: on location in Rome.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.