Pronunciation: (lôf'tē, lof'-), [key]
—adj., loft•i•er, loft•i•est.
1. extending high in the air; of imposing height; towering: lofty mountains.
2. exalted in rank, dignity, or character; eminent.
3. elevated in style, tone, or sentiment, as writings or speech.
4. arrogantly or condescendingly superior in manner; haughty: to treat someone in a lofty manner.
5. Naut.noting a rig of a sailing ship having extraordinarily high masts.
6. (of fabric or yarn) thick and resilient.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.