Pronunciation: (lô'gur-hed", log'ur-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/loggerhead.html on line 77 [key]
1. a thick-headed or stupid person; blockhead.
2. See loggerhead turtle.
3. See loggerhead shrike.
4. a ball or bulb of iron with a long handle, used, after being heated, to melt tar, heat liquids, etc.
5. a rounded post, in the stern of a whaleboat, around which the harpoon line is passed.
6. a circular inkwell having a broad, flat base.
7. at loggerheads, engaged in a disagreement or dispute; quarreling: They were at loggerheads over the distribution of funds.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.