Pronunciation: (lōn'lē), [key]
—adj., -li•er, -li•est.
1. affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
2. destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
3. lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
4. remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
5. standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.