Pronunciation: (lul), [key]
1. to put to sleep or rest by soothing means: to lull a child by singing.
2. to soothe or quiet.
3. to give or lead to feel a false sense of safety; cause to be less alert, aware, or watchful.
to quiet down, let up, or subside: furious activity that finally lulled.
1. a temporary calm, quiet, or stillness: a lull in a storm.
2. a soothing sound: the lull of falling waters.
3. a pacified or stupefied condition: The drug had put him in a lull.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.