Pronunciation: (lûrk), [key]
1. to lie or wait in concealment, as a person in ambush; remain in or around a place secretly or furtively.
2. to go furtively; slink; steal.
3. to exist unperceived or unsuspected.
4. Chiefly Computers.to observe an ongoing discussion without participating in it.
—n. Australian Informal.
1. an underhand scheme; dodge.
2. an easy, somewhat lazy or unethical way of earning a living, performing a task, etc.
3. a hideout.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.