Pronunciation: (mu-shē'nu-rē), [key]
1. an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses: the machinery of a factory.
2. the parts of a machine, collectively: the machinery of a watch.
3. a group of people or a system by which action is maintained or by which some result is obtained: the machinery of government.
4. a group of contrivances for producing stage effects.
5. the group or aggregate of literary machines, esp. those of supernatural agency (epic machinery) in an epic poem.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.