Pronunciation: (mag'nu-fī"), [key]
—v., -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to increase the apparent size of, as a lens does.
2. to make greater in actual size; enlarge: to magnify a drawing in preparing for a fresco.
3. to cause to seem greater or more important; attribute too much importance to; exaggerate: to magnify one's difficulties.
4. to make more exciting; intensify; dramatize; heighten: The playwright magnified the conflict to get her point across.
5. Archaic.to extol; praise: to magnify the Lord.
to increase or be able to increase the apparent or actual size of an object.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.