Pronunciation: (māk'up"), [key]
1. facial cosmetics, as eye shadow or lipstick.
2. cosmetics used on other parts of the body, as to cover birthmarks.
3. the application of cosmetics.
4. the ensemble or effect created by such application: Her makeup was subtle but very effective.
5. the total ensemble of cosmetics, wigs, costumes, etc., used by an actor or other performer.
6. the manner of being made up or put together; composition: the makeup of a team; the makeup of a situation.
7. physical or mental constitution: the makeup of a criminal.
8. the art, technique, or process of arranging or laying out, as pages in a publication.
9. the appearance of a page, book, newspaper, or the like, resulting from the arrangement and the variation in size and style of the printed elements: The makeup would be helped by a picture in this corner.
10. Print.the arrangement of set type, cuts, etc., into columns or pages.
11. an examination, assignment, or the like, given to offset a student's previous absence or failure.
12. an amount owed; balance. Also,make'-up".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.