Pronunciation: (mā'king), [key]
1. the act of a person or thing that makes: The making of a violin requires great skill.
2. structure; constitution; makeup.
3. the means or cause of success or advancement: to be the making of someone.
4. Usually, makings. capacity or potential: He has the makings of a first-rate officer.
a. material of which something may be made: the makings for a tossed salad.
b. Older Slang.paper and tobacco with which to make a hand-rolled cigarette.
6. something made.
7. the quantity made: a making of butter.
8. in the making, in the process of being made; developing or evolving; growing: Our space scientists see history in the making.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.