Pronunciation: (māl), [key]
1. a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
3. Bot.a staminate plant.
1. of, pertaining to, or being a male animal or plant.
2. pertaining to or characteristic of a male person; masculine: a male voice.
3. composed of males: a male choir.
a. designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure producing or containing microspores.
b. (of seed plants) staminate.
5. Mach.made to fit into a corresponding open or recessed part: a male plug. Cf. female (def. 8).
Pronunciation: (mä'lā, -lē), [key]
a city in and the capital of the Maldives. 17,000.
a combining form meaning “evil,” occurring in loanwords from Latin: malediction. Cf. mal-.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.