Pronunciation: (man'yOO-ul), [key]
1. done, operated, worked, etc., by the hand or hands rather than by an electrical or electronic device: a manual gearshift.
2. involving or using human effort, skill, power, energy, etc.; physical: manual labor.
3. of or pertaining to the hand or hands: manual deformities.
4. of the nature of a manual or handbook: manual instructions.
1. a small book, esp. one giving information or instructions: a manual of mathematical tables.
2. a nonelectric or nonelectronic typewriter; a typewriter whose keys and carriage may be powered solely by the typist's hands.
3. Mil.the prescribed drill in handling a rifle: the manual of arms.
4. Music.a keyboard, esp. one of several belonging to a pipe organ.
5. Auto.See manual transmission.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.