Pronunciation: (mar'u-thon", -thun), [key]
1. a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km 195 m).
2. any long-distance race.
3. any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon.
Pronunciation: (mar'u-thon"), [key]
1. a plain in SE Greece, in Attica: the Athenians defeated the Persians here 490b.c.
2. an ancient village that is near this plain.
3. Class. Myth.a son of Epopeus and the father of Corinthus.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.