Pronunciation: (märk; Fr. mar), [key]
1. the grapes contained in the wine press and the residue, as skins and pips, remaining after the juice is expressed.
2. (in France) the brandy distilled from this residue.
3. Pharm.the residue that remains following the extraction of active principles from a vegetable drug by means of a solvent.
Pronunciation: (märk; for 1 also Ger. märk), [key]
1. Franz (fränts), 1880–1916, German painter.
2. a male given name, form of Marcus.
Pronunciation: (märk), [key]
—n. Library Science.
a standardized system developed by the Library of Congress for producing and transmitting machine-readable bibliographic records.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.