—adj.mē'dē-it), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/mediate.html on line 79 [key]
—v., -at•ed, -at•ing,
1. to settle (disputes, strikes, etc.) as an intermediary between parties; reconcile.
2. to bring about (an agreement, accord, truce, peace, etc.) as an intermediary between parties by compromise, reconciliation, removal of misunderstanding, etc.
3. to effect (a result) or convey (a message, gift, etc.) by or as if by an intermediary.
1. to act between parties to effect an agreement, compromise, reconciliation, etc.
2. to occupy an intermediate place or position.
acting through, dependent on, or involving an intermediate agency; not direct or immediate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.