Pronunciation: (med"i-tu-rā'nē-un), [key]
1. See Mediterranean Sea.
2. a person whose physical characteristics are considered typical of the peoples native to or inhabiting the Mediterranean area.
3. the, Informal.the islands and countries of the Mediterranean Sea collectively.
1. pertaining to, situated on or near, or dwelling about the Mediterranean Sea.
2. pertaining to or characteristic of the peoples native to the lands along or near the Mediterranean Sea.
3. surrounded or nearly surrounded by land.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.