Pronunciation: (mem"u-ran'dum), [key]
—pl. -dums, -daPronunciation: (-du). [key]
1. a short note designating something to be remembered, esp. something to be done or acted upon in the future; reminder.
2. a record or written statement of something.
3. an informal message, esp. one sent between two or more employees of the same company, concerning company business: an interoffice memorandum.
4. Law.a writing, usually informal, containing the terms of a transaction.
5. Diplomacy.a summary of the state of an issue, the reasons for a decision agreed on, etc.
6. a document transferring title to goods but authorizing the return of the goods to the seller at the option of the buyer.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.