Pronunciation: (mes'ij), [key]
1. a communication containing some information, news, advice, request, or the like, sent by messenger, radio, telephone, or other means.
2. an official communication, as from a chief executive to a legislative body: the President's message to Congress.
3. the inspired utterance of a prophet or sage.
4. Computers.one or more words taken as a unit.
5. the point, moral, or meaning of a gesture, utterance, novel, motion picture, etc.
6. get the message, Informal.to understand or comprehend, esp. to infer the correct meaning from circumstances, hints, etc.: If we don't invite him to the party, maybe he'll get the message.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.