Pronunciation: (mi-sī'u), [key]
1. the promised and expected deliverer of the Jewish people.
2. Jesus Christ, regarded by Christians as fulfilling this promise and expectation. John 4:25, 26.
3. (usually l.c.) any expected deliverer.
4. (usually l.c.) a zealous leader of some cause or project.
5. (italics) an oratorio (1742) by George Frideric Handel. Also, Douay Bible,Mes•si•asPronunciation: (mi-sī'us) [key] (for defs. 1,2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.