Pronunciation: (meth'ud), [key]
1. a procedure, technique, or way of doing something, esp. in accordance with a definite plan: There are three possible methods of repairing this motor.
2. a manner or mode of procedure, esp. an orderly, logical, or systematic way of instruction, inquiry, investigation, experiment, presentation, etc.: the empirical method of inquiry.
3. order or system in doing anything: to work with method.
4. orderly or systematic arrangement, sequence, or the like.
5. the Method. Also called Stanislavski Method, Stanislavski System. a theory and technique of acting in which the performer identifies with the character to be portrayed and renders the part in a naturalistic, nondeclamatory, and highly individualized manner.
(usually cap.) of, pertaining to, or employing the Method: a Method actor; Method acting.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.