Pronunciation: (mī'grāt), [key]
—v.i., -grat•ed, -grat•ing.
1. to go from one country, region, or place to another.
2. to pass periodically from one region or climate to another, as certain birds, fishes, and animals: The birds migrate southward in the winter.
3. to shift, as from one system, mode of operation, or enterprise to another.
4. Physiol.(of a cell, tissue, etc.) to move from one region of the body to another, as in embryonic development.
a. (of ions) to move toward an electrode during electrolysis.
b. (of atoms within a molecule) to change position.
6. (at British universities) to change or transfer from one college to another.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.