Pronunciation: (mil'i-ter"ē), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -tar•ies, -tar•y.
1. of, for, or pertaining to the army or armed forces, often as distinguished from the navy: from civilian to military life.
2. of, for, or pertaining to war: military preparedness.
3. of or pertaining to soldiers.
4. befitting, characteristic of, or noting a soldier: a military bearing.
5. following the life of a soldier: a military career.
6. performed by soldiers: military duty.
a. the military establishment of a nation; the armed forces.
b. military personnel, esp. commissioned officers, taken collectively: the bar, the press, and the military.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.