Pronunciation: (mī'nur), [key]
1. Also called mineworker. a person who works in a mine, esp. a commercial mine producing coal or metallic ores.
2. a mechanical device used in mining: a miner for extracting ores from the ocean floor.
3. any of several Australian birds of the genus Manorina, feeding on honey and typically having a loud call.
4. any of various insect larvae that create tunnels in the parenchyma of leaves.
5. (formerly) a person who places or lays military or naval mines.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.